Oh, October. The leaves are slowly turning, boots and sweaters begin to appear on the street, the air is becoming cooler and starting to smell like…cookies?! That’s right! October 1st is National Homemade Cookies Day, and we are celebrating by giving you a very special cookie recipe to make at home! Except, these cookies might smell better than they taste, at least to us, because this is a recipe for horse cookies! Get together with some of your horsey (or non-horsey!) friends and have fun creating these scrumptious treats for your favorite Crimson Stables horse! (Or one for them all 😉)
- 1 Cup Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots*
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- ¼ Cup Water
*We used shredded carrots in our recipe, but feel free to switch this up for anything a horse would like! Apples and peppermints are a couple of our suggestions. 😊
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together oatmeal, flour, and salt.
3. Add shredded carrots and sugar, mix until evenly blended.
4. Add water and molasses, stir.*
*Tip: It may be easier to use your hands to mix everything together! Add up to ¼ cup more molasses as needed if batter is dry. When completely mixed, batter should be thicker and sticky.
5. Roll dough into 1 ½ inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Cookies will not expand, so it’s okay to place them close together.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Once cooled, bag up your cookies and bring them to the barn on your next trip!